Privacy Statement for Holiday Shacks
Collection of Personal Information
This Privacy Statement covers the business operations of Holiday Shacks and its website www.holidayshacks.com.au.
Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd ('Holiday Shacks') is bound by the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and the National Privacy Principles and is committed to protecting the privacy of personal information collected from home owners, renters and other persons as part of its normal business operations, activities and services or via its website.
Holiday Shacks primary purpose for collecting personal information is to enable Holiday Shacks to arrange and transact property holiday rentals. To facilitate this exchange, Holiday Shacks maintains a database of property owner and renter information.
- How Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd collects your personal information;
- What type of personal information Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd collects;
- The purposes for which Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd uses that information;
- How Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd maintains and keeps the information secure; and
- How you may access, correct or update any personal information that Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd holds about you.
- How does Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd collect personal information about me.
- What type of personal information does Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd collect about me?
Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd may collect any of the following information about you if you are a prospective Owner of a Holiday Property:
- Contact details;
- Property ownership details and features;
- Other information relevant to providing the services and products.
- If you are a prospective renter of a Holiday Property, Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd may collect the following information from you:
- Personal information to verify your identity such as drivers license details;
- Personal information on other guests who will be residing at the holiday property;
- Personal financial information and other information required to confirm your booking;
- Sometimes Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd may also need to ask you for other personal information to enable Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd to provide its services to you.
- The following data is collected on a standard basis upon visiting the Holiday Shacks website:
a) The name of your operating system and the type of browser you were using b) The Internet Protocol (IP) address and your domain name c) The date and time of your visit d) Any pages you may access, and documents you have downloaded e) the previous page you visited
This information does not identify you. Personal information is only recorded when provided by and agreed to by the individual for reasons such as filling out an Enquiry Form.
Why does Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd collect this information?
Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd collects this information to:
- enable Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd to provide you with the services and/or products you may require.
- enable subsidiaries and third party partner businesses to assist you with related or ancillary services, as required.
How does Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd use the personal information held about me?
Any personal information about you that Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd collects and records will only be used or disclosed by Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd lawfully and by fair means for the purpose of:
- helping Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd efficiently and effectively deliver and improve on Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd products and services or any other purpose specified to you at the time of collection; or
- any other purpose if you would reasonably expect Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd to use or disclose that personal information for that other purpose and that other purpose is related to the above purpose; or
- sending you news, and other information about Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd's activities and general promotional material which Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd believes may be of interest to you, however, when Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd does this, Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd will provide you with an express opportunity to decline receiving any further communication from Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd of this type via an opt-out mechanism.
If Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd wishes to use or disclose any of your personal information in any other ways than described above, Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd will not do so unless:
- Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd has your express consent to do so;
- Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd has reasonable grounds to believe that the use or disclosure is necessary to prevent a threat to life or health; or
- Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd has reasonable grounds to believe that the use or disclosure is required by law or to enforce the law.
Can I be anonymous when I deal with Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd?
To some extent you can preserve your anonymity when you deal with Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd as you can visit our website without providing any personal information.
However when you enter into transactions with Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd that involve the rental of holiday property, then various Acts, statutory legislation and regulations require you to provide us with personal information so as to identify you.
What happens if I want to access or correct the personal information held about me?
You may access your personal information held by Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd, subject to some exceptions. We will respond to your request for access within 14 days and endeavour to provide the requested information within 30 days.
-We may charge you a reasonable fee to recover our costs for providing access based on the quantity of material and time involved in providing access.
- We may not be able to provide access to information in some situations including:
- where in our opinion providing you access may create a serious threat to the life or health of any individual or may be an unreasonable intrusion into the privacy of another individual;
- where your request for access is in our opinion frivolous or vexatious; or
- where providing access would be unlawful, may prejudice an investigation of possible unlawful activity, may prejudice enforcement of law, or denying access is specifically authorised by law.
If for any reason Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd does not allow you to access your personal information, Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd will provide you with reasons in writing for its decision.
Does Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd provide my personal information to third parties?
There are some instances when we need to provide your personal information to third parties. We may be bound by law to provide your details to government-related bodies.
Holiday Shacks works on behalf of Holiday Property Owners and as such may from time-to-time make the details of potential renters to them. This is only for the purposes of authorising and confirming any potential booking request.
Sometimes we may need to outsource some of our administrative and other property-related functions to external organisations such as Advertising Agencies, Photographers, professional cleaners, building and garden maintenance contractors and providers of luxury services if requested such as caterers, masseuse operators or limousine hire operators. Most of the above organisations are bound by express or implied confidentiality obligations to Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd.
Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd does not sell your personal details to other organisations. We may however use the information about you to assist us with internal marketing and research.
How does Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd keep my personal information secure?
Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd will take reasonable steps to ensure information Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd collects, uses or discloses is stored in a secure environment that is accessed only by persons authorised by Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd so as to prevent misuse, loss or unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
If the personal information is no longer needed for any purpose, Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify the personal information.
Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd endeavours to provide a secure environment and a reliable system but you should be aware that there are inherent risks associated with the electronic storage and transmission of information (particularly via the Internet) which cannot be guaranteed to be 100% secure.
Who do I contact for further information?
Our Privacy Officer can assist you with any enquiries you have about the information that we hold about you. They can be contacted on 1300 161 780 from 9.00am to 5.00pm (Melbourne time), Monday to Friday.
You can also write to the Privacy Officer at:
Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd
PO Box 10
Mornintgon VIC 3931
Fax (03) 9923 6999
What if I have a complaint or concern?
If you have a complaint or concern you can phone the Holiday Shacks Pty Ltd Privacy Officer on 1300 161 780 or write to the Privacy Officer at the address above. We will do our best to try and resolve your complaint within 90 days.
What if you are unable to resolve my complaint or concern?
If we are unable to resolve your complaint within this time, or you are unhappy with the outcome, you may refer your complaint to the Privacy Commissioner in your State capital. The Privacy Commissioner can be contacted by telephone from anywhere in Australia for the cost of a local call on 1300 363 992, or you can write to the Privacy Commissioner at the following address:
The Office of the Federal Privacy Commissioner
GPO Box 5218
Sydney NSW 1042
Fax: (02) 9284 9666
TTY: 1800 620 241 (Teletype access for the hearing impaired)
The Holiday Shacks Privacy Statement may, from time to time, be reviewed and updated to take account of new laws and technology and changes to our operations. Please visit this page periodically to check for updates.